How To Help Yourself In The Event Of Lost Luggage
So you’re on a trip, and as you go to grab your checked luggage from the carousel, the worse has occurred – your bag is nowhere to be found. Sure, you have your Falcon Wheeled Duffle Bag for carry-on, but all of the belongings and necessities you couldn’t fit into your carry-on are now nowhere to be found. So what do you do now? Well, there are some things you can do to help yourself in the event of lost luggage, or to avoid lost luggage in the first place:
- Keep a copy of your itinerary in your bag – In your checked bag, tuck in a copy of your itinerary into an easy-to-find pocket or compartment. When you tell your airline about your lost luggage, tell them about the enclosed itinerary and where it’s located, and this will give them a much easier time tracking you down to get your luggage back to where it belongs.
- Avoid those tight connections – It might be tempting to book your trip with a tight connection. It can save you money, or even get you a better seat on your flight. That being said, late check-ins and tight connections are the flights that are most likely to cause you to lose your luggage, and if you don’t want to risk it, avoid taking that risk.
- Keep valuables on your carry-on – Travel and airline insurance only covers so much in the event your luggage is stolen or lost for good. To give you some peace of mind, keep your valuables and anything you absolutely cannot lose with you in your carry-on like our Falcon Wheeled Duffle Bag.
- Take your claim tickets – Another common factor in missing luggage is checked bags not having the right destination ticket. When you check your bag, make sure to check and make sure it’s tagged with the correct destination, and keep your claim ticket for every bag you check.
- Invest in travel insurance – Investing in your own travel insurance policy is the best way to protect yourself against lost checked bags and their contents. Airline insurance policies will only cover so much, and opting for your own travel insurance will ensure you’re able to recoup closer to your actual amount of losses if your bag is lost.
- Make an itemized list – Either on your phone or on a classic pad of paper with a pen, itemize every little thing and approximate value of each item that you are packing in your checked bag. While this is somewhat time-consuming and will add a bit of time to your packing process, it will make the claim process should your bag be lost a whole lot easier.
No one wants to step off their flight, either at home, on vacation, or arriving for a business trip, and find that their luggage isn’t trailing behind them. Unfortunately, this is a reality that many travelers face every day, and the best thing you can do when faced with this situation is to learn how to be prepared.
Shop our luggage here!